Cozy comfort casserole lightened up! Enjoy during the holiday season!
- ½ bag (7 or 8 ounces) of Reindeer Pasta (or substitute any short shape)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup shredded carrots (you can buy onions and carrots pre-chopped or shredded!)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup skim or fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons flour (all purpose)
- ¼ t. ground nutmeg
- 1½-2 cups 2% reduced fat shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1½ t. salt
- ½ t. black pepper
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and lightly toss with 1 T. olive oil.
- In a large pan coated with cooking spray, sauté carrots and onion over medium high heat for approx. 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add ground beef and cook until browned and crumbled, for approximately 5-7 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, 1 t. salt and pepper. Stir until most of the liquid evaporates, approx. 2 minutes.
- Add pasta to beef mixture and gently combine. Place mixture in a 9 x 9, or 11 x 7 baking dish that has been coated with cooking spray.
- In a medium sauce an, whisk milk, flour, nutmeg, and ½ t. salt until blended. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for approx. 2 minutes until thickened. Add 1 cup of cheese and stir until melted.
- Pour cheese mixture over pasta and toss gently to combine.
- Top dish with ½-1 cup of cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Let stand 5 minutes before serving!
- Garnish with fresh parsley and enjoy!
Do not overbake, as you will lose some of the creamy texture! For a spicier taste, serve Tabasco on the side
Recipe courtesy of Carey Aron, originally posted by World of Pastabilities.